The release of “Animal Crossing: New Horizons” could not have come at a better time. People across the globe are stuck indoors and “bored in the house, and in the house bored.” The popularity of the game has led to numerous articles touting the merits of the game and its timeliness, even dissecting the politics of Tom Nook and his island.
We, too, have enjoyed countless hours of trying to get our favorite villagers, catching fish and bugs (and tarantula hunting), gathering materials, crafting, and building towards that ultimate rush of achieving a 5-star island.
As the nostalgia for campus and being surrounded by fellow Terps has hit us, we began experimenting with adding images that represent UMD to our islands.
We want to encourage you to bring UMD images into your own games, as well. For the next few weeks, we will be awarding in-game prizes to those of you who incorporate images from the Libraries’ Digital Collections into your Animal Crossing world.
- Everyone who participates will get access to download an exclusive custom-designed UMD t-shirt for your character to wear.
- Just follow the steps below to transfer an image from the Libraries’ Digital Collections into “Animal Crossing” with a QR code, place the image somewhere on your island, and take a screenshot to post with the hashtag #TerpCrossing or share it in a DM with @umdlibraries
- Post or DM your image before June 1st for a chance to win one of three exclusive prize packs of in-game items
- Including more custom-designed clothing, Nook Miles tickets, bell vouchers, and more. We’ll judge based on the creativity of the image chosen and how it’s used in your game.
How To Place an Image Into The Game
Choose an Image
- Choose one of the images below or search for your favorite image from our Libraries’ Digital Collections.
- Tips for choosing images:
- Look for something without too much detail, focused on a single subject, and without too much shadow.
- Keep it simple, and if an image doesn’t work well, try cropping it differently, or try a different image.
- Tips for choosing images:
- Use the clipping tool on the left of the image to crop what you want, then click the checkmark to download.
Create a Downloadable Pattern
- Visit the Animal Crossing Pattern Tool website: https://acpatterns.com/
- Click on EDITOR, then the CONVERT button. Upload your image and choose your settings. Feel free to experiment, and don’t worry too much about it being very high quality.
- When you’re happy with your image, click the GENERATE QR CODE button. You can scan the QR code using the Nintendo Switch Online mobile app in order to access it from the game.
Upload Your Pattern
- When you’re playing Animal Crossing, open your Nook Phone and select the Custom Designs App, then hit the – button to download the scanned image. You can place the image on surfaces (walls, ground), on a shirt, on a canvas, and more.
Share Your Screenshot
- Don’t forget to post a screenshot with the hashtag #TerpCrossing or share it in a DM to @umdlibraries
Some of Our Favorite Images
- McKeldin with fountain
- Testudo mascot standing with Testudo statue
- Testudo Statue in Front of McKeldin Library, 1991
- Admin building – Students sitting along the ODK Fountain on McKeldin Mall
- M book cover
- UMD logo 1978
- Pyon Su (learn about Pyon Su)
- Judith Resnik (learn about Judith Resnik)
- Buck Williams (learn about Buck Williams)
- WMUC grand opening (learn more about WMUC)
Have Questions Or Need Help?
Contact us with a DM @umdlibraries or email email@example.com.
We can’t wait to see what you create!