We’re pleased to announce that labor history collection guides for the George Meany Labor Archives at the University of Maryland are now searchable online in a new Archival Collections database site recently released by the UMD Libraries Special Collections and University Archives!
- The new database is powered by ArchivesSpace, the premier software system being implemented by archives around the country to provide the best possible access to archival collections.
- Global combined searches of all Maryland’s archival collection guides, which include labor collections from the George Meany Labor Archives, are now possible for the first time.
- Searches can easily be done within a single labor collection guide.
- Via online the collection guides, requests for boxes containing archival material of interest for viewing in the Maryland Room of Hornbake Library are now linked to your Special Collections (Aeon) Account, and the box request form is automatically filled out.
What’s the same?
- The new Archival Collections database sustains and improves the accessibility of over 100 labor collections at University of Maryland, including the national AFL-CIO, Carpenters (UBCJA), and Bakery Workers (BCTGM) records.
- Within the national AFL-CIO records, you can still search by the original record group number, such as RG1-038, to find collections that were previously held, by the George Meany Memorial Archive at the National Labor College, before they were transferred to the University of Maryland in 2013.
Exceptions to the exciting news…
- If you need materials that are unprocessed, you will need to contact the Labor Collections Curator for assistance. Here is some additional information about requesting unprocessed materials.
- The microfilm collections are not currently available in the online database. If you need information about microfilmed labor collections, you will need to contact the Labor Collections Curator for assistance.
Yes, we’re working on putting together Tips for Searching Labor Collections at University of Maryland, which will be posted in the near future on this blog.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for help with searching and requesting labor collections or additional information about the George Meany Labor Archives at the University of Maryland.